How can you look into a grieving parent’s eyes and lie?
That is my first question. I said in my last Benghazi-Gate post that “When families begin to call for your head, there is bound to be a reckoning.”
Evidence of this just keeps on coming.
Charlie Woods is the father of Navy SEAL Tyrone Woods, who gave his life trying to defend the consulate and safe house in the Benghazi attacks–even after calling TWICE for help. Both calls were denied, and SEAL Woods was given orders to stand down. He disobeyed those orders, and with fellow SEAL Glen Doherty, defended both the consulate and the safe house for 7 hours while the State Department and White House officials watched.
Yet, for 14 days after the Benghazi attack, the White House and State Department did a song and dance about an anti-Islamist video being the cause of the 9/11/12 uprising, when they knew this was not the case. Due in no small part to strong reporting from Breitbart.com, Eli Lake of Newsweek, Fox News, and others in the conservative blogosphere, this blatant cover up might have been allowed to stand. Once the Congressional Oversight Committee did its investigations, the facts were codified on record, and allowed a deeper unfolding.
Charlie Woods said it best: “I do not appreciate cowards, and I do not appreciate lies.” Neither do the American people, and the Obama administration and State Department have exhibited both over this last month and a half since the September 11, 2012 Benghazi attack.
The video of the interview with Charlie Woods from Fox’s America Live with Megyn Kelly is heartbreaking. Mr. Woods tells his story of the lies and obfuscations from the Obama administration that dishonor the memory of his son, a true American hero.
As more facts are revealed, the falsehoods told by the White House and the State Department continue to unravel, exposing the shocking degree of the cover up.
Defense Secretary Leon Panetta asserted on Thursday that there was no way they could have sent in outside assistance, because they did not have enough intel at the time to take action, and he did not want to put American forces at risk.
Retired General Bob Scales, appearing Friday On the Record with Greta Van Susteren debunked Panetta’s claims, and confirms the information given by Investigative reporter Jennifer Griffin:
“[T]wo military surveillance drones redirected to Benghazi shortly after the attack on the Consulate began. They were already in the vicinity. The second surveillance craft was sent to relieve the first drone, perhaps due to fuel issues. Both were capable of sending real time visuals back to U.S. officials in Washington, D.C. Any U.S. official or agency with the proper clearance, including the White House Situation Room, State Department, CIA, Pentagon and others, could call up that video in real time on their computers. “
The drones had night vision capabilities, the ability to see through the fog and the fire of battle, and to even pinpoint and target certain weapons (like the mortar shells).
The CIA continues to distance itself of any culpability, placing the failure to act directly into the lap of the Obama Administration. The CIA confirmed that they requested help and were denied. As confirmed by Jennifer Griffin’s on-ground sources, during the attack Special Operator Woods and Navy SEAL Doherty reported back to base, giving relevant intel that would allow anyone assisting to know exactly where and when to strike:
“According to sources on the ground during the attack, the special operator on the roof of the CIA annex had visual contact and a laser pointing at the Libyan mortar team that was targeting the CIA annex. The operators were calling in coordinates of where the Libyan forces were firing from. ”
CIA Operations were denied request for help during Benghazi attack sources say.
This raises other questions: Who gave the order to stand down? Why was help refused, when the technology to assess the situation, and the ability to help was already in place?
The Senate Select Committee on Intelligence has announced it will hold a closed hearing on November 15 (after the election) into the circumstances surrounding the terrorist attack, including the intelligence and security situation there. There is word that additional hearings are also set to follow.
Of course, President Obama continues to dodge direct questions about this continuing debacle. After doing a fluffball interview with MTV, he sat down with Denver’s local News 9 reporter Kyle Clark who asked direct questions about the Benghazi tragedy:
“President Obama discussed the situation in Libya during a satellite interview Friday afternoon with 9NEWS reporter Kyle Clark, who also asked if it’s fair for Americans to be told to wait until after the election to learn what truly happened in Libya.
“‘The election has nothing to do with four brave Americans getting killed and us wanting to find out exactly what happened,’ President Obama said. ‘Nobody wants to find out more what happened than I do.'” (emphases mine)
“President Obama was directly asked twice whether pleas for help on the ground in Libya were denied during the attack. Both times, he repeated his standard call for a thorough investigation.”
The full transcript of the interview and the video can be seen here. The President looks haggard, tired, and like he doesn’t even believe the regurgitated talking points that are coming from his mouth. He fails to make a convincing argument.
If President Obama wins re-election (which looks less and less likely) then his administration will be under investigation, not just for Benghazi, but for his other domestic policy failures (Fast & Furious, Solyndra/Sun Power). If he is found to be culpable in the cover up of Benghazi-Gate, he could possibly be impeached.
If there is any justice, he will wear his Foreign Policy decisions like an albatross around his neck.
If President Obama is not re-elected, then Benghazi-Gate will be the legacy. A Middle East foreign policy that was supposed to bring peace and new relations with Islamic countries, that only added more fuel to the fire of Islamist hatred, opened America up to further attack (the Underwear Bomber, Times Square Bomber, Fort Hood), and precipitated the death of Ambassador Christopher J. Stevens and three American heroes.
For many, November 7 cannot come soon enough.
UPDATE: More unraveling from Nice Deb and The Blaze. Sources place President Obama in the Situation Room while the Benghazi attacks were happening. According to Lt. Col. Tony Shaffer on Fox’s Judge Jeanine Pirro, “He and only he could issue a directive for Sec of Defense, Panetta to do something.”
Nice Deb nails it: “Once again, Obama voted ‘present’.”